Judge Harry Alvan Hall (D38) Cameron, Clarion, Elk and Forest Counties 1891-1893
Judge Harry Alvan Hall, born October 7, 1861, Karthaus, Clearfield County, Pennsylvania; son of Benjamin McDowell and Susannah Geary Hall; Benedictine Monastery, Saint Mary’s, Pennsylvania; Dickinson Seminary; University at Lewisburg (now Bucknell); Saint Gregory College; Yale University, A.B., 1879, LL.B.,1881; admitted to the bar, 1881, general counsel, several railroads, specialized, railroad, corporation, international law, active law practice, Ridgway, Pennsylvania; chief burgess of Saint Marys, five consecutive terms; secretary, director, Saint Mary's Gas Company; general manager, Clarion River railway; elected, Democrat, Pennsylvania State Senate, 1891-1893; appointed, United States attorney, Western District of Pennsylvania, 1893; reappointed, 1897, resigned the same year; captain, judge advocate-general, major, Company H, Sixteenth, Pennsylvania National Guard, United States Volunteers, United States Army, Spanish-American War, 1898; delegate, Democratic National Conventions, Chicago, Illinois, 1884, Saint Louis, Missouri, 1888; delegate-at-large, Democratic National Convention, Chicago, Illinois, 1892; general counsel, Austro-Hungarian Empire, Kingdom of Italy in the United States; knighted, Emperor Francis Joseph, officers' cross of the Order of Francis Joseph, 1905; elected, president judge, twenty-fifth judicial district of Pennsylvania, Common Pleas Court No. 25, 1906; editor, Saint Mary’s Gazette (Elk County) three years; married, Currin McNairy, 1886; died, December 1, 1917, (aged 56), heart trouble, Bellevue-Stratford Hotel, Philadelphia, Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania; interment, Thayer Cemetery, Ridgway, Elk County, Pennsylvania.
As United States attorney, chosen by the Interstate Commerce Commission to try the test cases under that act.
Mustered, into the Spanish-American War, May 10, 1898, captain, Company H, Sixteenth, Pennsylvania National Guard, United States Volunteers; judge advocate-general, first corps, staff, General James H. Wilson; promoted major, distinguished gallantry on the field at the battle of Coamo, Puerto Rico, commissioned August 9, 1903, by general orders, Lieutenant-General Nelson Appleton Miles, sent to Washington, present the Spanish flags captured in that action to President William McKinley.
Professional titles; business ownership; board memberships; local government; club memberships:
Fellow, American Geographical Society, member, Authors' Club of London, England, American Bar Association, president, Elk County Bar Association; member, Archeological Society of the Military Service Institute; commander-in-chief, Naval and Military Order of the Spanish-American War; commander-in-chief, National Commandery; Vice-commander-in-chief, National Association of Spanish-American War Veterans.
Chief burgess of Saint Marys, five consecutive terms.
Delegate, Democratic National Conventions, Chicago, Illinois, 1884, Saint Louis, Missouri, 1888; delegate-at-large, Democratic National Convention, Chicago, Illinois, 1892.
Elected, Democrat, Pennsylvania State Senate, 38th district, Cameron, Clarion, Elk and Forest Counties, 1891-1893; committee assignments, Canals and Inland Navigation, Game and Fisheries, Judiciary (General), Judiciary (Special), Military Affairs; resigned, June 1893, William Hyde elected, November 7, 1893, to fill vacancy.
Appointed, United States attorney, Western District of Pennsylvania, 1893; reappointed, 1897, resigned the same year.
Elected, president judge, twenty-fifth judicial district of Pennsylvania, Clinton, Cameron, Elk Counties, Common Pleas Court No. 25, 1906.
Brother, John Geary Hall, Pennsylvania State Senate, 38th district, Cameron, Clarion, Elk, and Forest Counties, 1879-1886.
Brother, James Knox Polk Hall, Pennsylvania State Senate, 38th district, Cameron, Clarion, Elk, Forest Counties, 1903-1906, Pennsylvania State Senate, 26th district Cameron, Clarion, Clinton, Elk and Forest Counties, 1907-1914.
Brother-in-law, William H. Hyde, Pennsylvania State Senate, 38th district, Cameron, Clarion, Elk and Forest Counties, 1893-1893; replaced, Harry Alvan Hall.
Smull’s Legislative Handbook, (1893). Cochran, T.B., (Editor) Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, pages 810, 815-817, Biographical Sketches of Senators, page 777.
Men of 1914: Biographical Sketches; Mary Kalinowski, Executive Director, Elk County Historical Society.
The Clinton County Times (Lock Haven, Pennsylvania) Friday, December 7, 1917, page 1.