This exhibition explores the caretakers of Senate past: Senate Librarians. These laudable figures not only shaped the organizational structure of the Senate Library, but also influenced its current collection.
From personal anecdotes to tales of valor, the narratives in this exhibition reflect how Senate Librarians in the state of Pennsylvania varied both personally and professionally. Despite those differences, the Senate Library's mission--to act as a reference library and as gatekeeper of the Senate's Institutional and legislative past--unified the Librarians. Each one may have been different in his or her process, interests, or goals as an individual, yet they all left a lasting impact on the Senate Library and the Institution.
On display are personal items, historical artifacts, archival documents, and written narratives that celebrate the legacies of Senate Librarians: Captain William P. Brady, Herman P. Miller, Captain John C. Delaney, Major Charles A.P. Bartlett, Charles L. Lathero, Mary Kunkle, and Evelyn F. Andrews. The Senate Library invites members, staff, and visitors to explore the multifold and lasting contributions these figures made to the Senate and Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. This exhibition is presented in collaboration with the Capitol Preservation Committee, the State Museum of Pennsylvania, the State Archives, the State Library, and Senate Republican and Democratic Graphics Departments.
Herman P. Miller Exhibition Items
- Photograph and Biography of Senate Librarian Herman P. Miller as an Officer of the Senate; Senate Library Legacy Project.
- Photograph of Senate Librarian Herman P. Miller in the old Capitol. Courtesy of the Capitol Preservation Committee, ca 1897-1898.
- Article referencing State publishing of the 1923 Legislative Manual, Reproduction.
- 1923 Pennsylvania Manual. Senate of Pennsylvania Library.
- 1887 Smull's Legislative Handbook. Senate of Pennsylvania Library.
- Article, "W. Harry Baker Dies at 53," Reproduction. From the Harrisburg Telegraph, July 6, 1927; details the passing of W. Harry Baker, Secretary of the Senate, Senate Librarian Herman P Miller handling arrangements.
- Photograph of Senate Librarian Herman P. Miller sitting at his desk covered in work, ca 1935; Donated by the second-longest serving PA Senate Librarian in history: Evelyn F. Andrews.
- The resignation of Senate Librarian Herman P. Miller, published in the Senate Journal.
- Article, "Herman P. Miller, Senate Librarian, Retires After 60 Years in Service of State," Reproduction. From the Harrisburg Evening News, March 24, 1936.
- Senate Librarian Herman P. Miller death certificate, Copy, May 31, 1946.
- Chapter 15: The Tinderbox, from Building Harrisburg: The Architects & Builders, 1719-1941, by Ken Frew. Courtesy of Ken Frew and the Historical Society of Dauphin County.
- Article, "Herman Miller, Senate Librarian Many Years, Dies," Reproduction. From the Harrisburg Evening News, May 31, 1946.
Alcove Exhibition Items
- Photograph of Mary on horseback on homestead in Montana, 1913; Senate Library Legacy Project.
- Photograph of Mary's engagement picture, 1915; Senate Library Legacy Project.
- Dauphin County, Official Notice of Election, Returns of the Primary, 4th District of the 7th Ward, certifying Mary Emerson to the office of Member of the County Committee, May 25, 1926. On loan from family collection of Craig Emerson, grandson of Mary Kunkle.
- Photograph of Acting Librarian Mary Kunkle, ca 1960s, retouching courtesy of the Department of Republican Communications; Senate Library Legacy Project.
- Plaque, given to Librarian Charles Lathero to commemorate his swearing in as Senate Librarian, January 4, 1955; Senate Library Legacy Project.
- Photograph of Librarian Charles Lathero with library staff, which includes Mary Kunkle, ca 1950s; Senate Library Legacy Project.
- Pen Set of Senate Librarian Charles Lathero, ca 1950s; Senate Library Legacy Project.
Historical Context Exhibition Items
- Photograph of the Senate Library, ca. 1911, courtesy of the Capitol Preservation Committee.
- Photograph of the Senate Library, ca. 2018, courtesy of the Republican Communications Department.
- Watercolor of Hills Capitol, ca. 1897, courtesy of the Capitol Preservation Committee.
- Photograph of Cobb Capitol Dedication, ca. 1899, courtesy of the Capitol Preservation Committee.
- Sketch of Huston Capitol, submitted for Capitol competition ca. 1902, courtesy of the Capitol Preservation Committee.
- Senate of Pennsylvania Photo Book, courtesy of the Office of the Secretary of Pennsylvania; Senate Library Legacy Project.
- Senate Librarians Historical List, ca. 2018, courtesy of Sarah Greenwald.
- William Perry Brady. Medal Reproduction, courtesy of the Erie Maritime Museum, Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
- William Perry Brady. Silhouette of William Perry Brady. Reproduction, courtesy of the Erie Maritime Museum, Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
- Photograph of William Perry Brady, ca. 1860, courtesy of the Pennsylvania State Archives.
- Photograph of Charles A.P. Bartlett, ca. 1940, courtesy of the Legislative Data Processing Center.
- Article "Major Charles A.P. Bartlett First Northampton GOP State Senator in 44 Years,", Reproduction. From The Morning Call, Allentown, PA, November 10, 1938.
- Senate of Pennsylvania Watch, ca. 1990, courtesy of Evelyn F. Andrews.
- 1989 vol. 1 Senate Journal Cookie, ca. 2020, courtesy of Evelyn F. Andrews.
- Senate Librarian Business Card, Evelyn F. Andrews, Senate of Pennsylvania, courtesy of Evelyn F. Andrews.
- Photograph of Evelyn F. Andrews, ca. 1989, Senate of Pennsylvania, courtesy of the Legislative Data Processing Center
John C. Delaney Exhibition Items
- Cartridge Box. Courtesy of Robert D. Hill, State Museum of Pennsylvania.
- 107th Regimental Flag Tassel Fragment . Courtesy of Robert D. Hill, State Museum of Pennsylvania.
- April 1865 Recommendation of Promotion. Reproduction. Courtesy of Aaron McWilliams, the Pennsylvania State Archives.
- July 1865 Recommendation of Promotion. Reproduction. Courtesy of Aaron McWilliams, the Pennsylvania State Archives.
- 107th Regiment Order to Commission. Reproduction. Courtesy of Aaron McWilliams, the Pennsylvania State Archives.
- Smull's Legislative Handbook, 1910. Senate of Pennsylvania Library.
- Article, "Capt. Delaney Tells How He Met Lincoln," Reproduction. Courtesy of the Harrisburg Telegraph.
- A Wayne County Kaleidoscope, by Albert G. Rutherford. Courtesy of Albert G. Rutherford and Carol Dunn of the Wayne County Historical Society.
- Oil on canvas Portrait of a young John C. Delaney in uniform c.1865. c.1950s. Courtesy of John B. Lang, great-grandson of John C. Delaney and Kathryn Blystone, great-grand daughter of John C. Delaney.
Note: *The text for the standards are written (with the occasional exception of field-specific language) at the sixth grade level, hence the Pennsylvania Academic Standards for Grade 6 are used to support the exhibitions.
- Megan Martin, Secretary and Parliamentarian of the Senate
- Evelyn Andrews, Librarian of the Senate
- Jess Rodic, Assistant Secretary of the Senate
- Jessica Valen, Communications Specialist, Office of the Secretary
- Donna Wheeler, Administrative Assistant, Senate Library
- George Soule, Administrative Assistant, Senate Library
- Lindsey Walsh, Research Intern, Senate Library
- Dustin Foley, Research Intern, Senate Library
Democratic Caucus Operations Staff
- Helen E. Mabus, Graphics Director
Republican Communications Staff
- Carol Milligan, Director
- Douglas Gross, Director of Photography
- Jason Troutman, Videographer
- Todd Krick, Director of Graphic Arts
- Gregory Milligan, Director of Video Services
- Madison Wolfe, Graphic Artist/Photographer
Senate Print Shop/Digital Production
- Chris Keller, Director
- Caleb Gordon, Deputy Director
Contributing Organizations & Individuals:
- The Pennsylvania Capitol Preservation Committee
- Jason Wilson, Historian, Capitol Preservation Committee
- Jesse Teitelbaum, Director of Archives, Pennsylvania House Archives
- Robert D. Hill, Military & Industrial History Curator, The State Museum of Pennsylvania
- Beth Hager, Director, State Museum of Pennsylvania
- Andrea W. Lowery, RA, LEED AP, Executive Director, Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission
- Aaron McWilliams, Archivist, Pennsylvania State Archives
- Kathy Hale, Supervisor for Public Services, Government Documents Librarian, State Library of Pennsylvania
- Michael "Mike" Lear, Rare Collections Librarian, State Library of Pennsylvania
- Albert G. Rutherford, Author, A Wayne County Kaleidoscope; Contributing Writer, Wayne County Historical Society
- Carol Dunn, Executive Director, Wayne County Historical Society
- Sarah Piccini, Assistant Director, Lackawanna Historical Society
- Craig Emerson, grandson of Mary Kunkle
- Ken Frew, Research Librarian/Archivist, Historical Society of Dauphin County