Henry J. Propert (R12) Montgomery County 1951-1964
Henry J. Propert, born April 9, 1906, Bethayres, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania; son of Harry G. and Mary E. Dwyer Propert; Lower Moreland High School; studied business, banking, and accounting; employed by Main and Company Certified Accountants; treasurer, School District of Lower Moreland Township, 1929-1933; elected, tax collector, treasurer, Lower Moreland Township, 1937-1961; elected, Republican, Pennsylvania House of Representatives, 1945-1950; elected, Republican, Pennsylvania State Senate, 1951-1964; married, Mary C. Haldeman, twin daughters Phyllis and Elaine, son Elmer G.; died, January 9, 1964, while in office of the Senate, Abington, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania; interment, Whitemarsh Memorial Park, Ambler, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania.
Professional titles; business ownership; board memberships; local government; club memberships:
Chairman, Abington branch, YMCA board of managers; member, Friendship Lodge 400, Free and Accepted Masons; Benjamin Franklin consistory, Philadelphia; board member, Huntingdon Valley’s Memorial Baptist Church.
Treasurer, School District of Lower Moreland Township, 1929-1933.
Elected, tax collector, treasurer, Lower Moreland Township, 1937-1961.
Elected, Republican, Pennsylvania House of Representatives, 1945-1950; appointed, Joint Legislative Committee on Corporations and Cooperatives, 1947-1948.
Elected, Republican, Pennsylvania State Senate, 1951-1964; committee assignments, Appropriations, Banking (Chairman), Constitutional Change and Federal Relations, Finance (vice, chairman), Insurance, Judiciary General, Local Government; appointed, Commission on Interstate Cooperation, 1961-1962; appointed, Legislative Budget and Finance Committee, 1961-1964.
Pennsylvania House of Representatives Biography:
The Pennsylvania Manual (1955-1956). Allen, A. (Editor). (Volume 92). The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, pages 308, 310, 315. Biographical Sketches of Senators, page 301.
The Mercury (Pottstown, Pennsylvania) Saturday, January 11, 1964, page 3.