Member Biography

Joel Gillette Hill 


Portrait and Bio: Senator Hill, Rodearmel, 1905, Senate Of Pa.; Bates Regiments


Sessions Office Position District Party
1903-1904       26 Democrat
1905-1906       26 Democrat

COUNTIES: Susquehanna, Wayne  


08/01/1845 - 03/15/1919

Private Joel Gillette Hill (D26) Susquehanna and Wayne Counties, 1903-1906

Early Life:

Private Joel Gillette Hill, born August 1, 1845, Otsego, Otsego County, New York; son of Alpheus C. and  Almira Gillett Hill; moved, Equinunk, Wayne County, Pennsylvania, 1848; common schools education; private, Union Army, Civil War, 1864-1865; engaged, farming, timber business; elected, Democrat, Wayne County Commission, 1893-1899; Associate Judge, Wayne County, 1899; unsuccessful candidate, Democrat, Pennsylvania State Treasurer, 1902;elected, Democrat, Pennsylvania State Senate, 1903-1906; married, Mary J. Flynn, Private Lewis G Hill, John A Hill, Harris Gillette Hill; died, March 15, 1919, home, (i) Lookout, Wayne County, Pennsylvania; interment, Lookout United Methodist Church Cemetery, Damascus Township, Wayne County, Pennsylvania.

Early Career:

Enlisted, private September 6, 1864, Southfield, New York, Company F, 50th New York Volunteer Engineers; battles at Cold Harbor; Siege of Petersburg; Appomattox Campaign; mustered out, June 13, 1865, Fort Barry, Virginia. 

Pennsylvania Politics:

Elected, Democrat, Wayne County Commission, 1893-1899.

Associate Judge, Wayne County, 1899.

Unsuccessful candidate, Democrat, Pennsylvania State Treasurer, 1902.  

Elected, Democrat, Pennsylvania State Senate, 26th district, Susquehanna and Wayne Counties, 1903-1906; member of the following committees for 1906 regular and extraordinary sessions: Agriculture, Congressional Apportionment, Elections, Forestry, Game and Fisheries, Military Affairs, New Counties and County Seats and Pension and Gratuities.  


The Hill Sawmill was built by William Holbert and J. D. Branning just after the Civil War, one of many they owned in the area. Joel Hill purchased the Mill from the Holbert heirs in 1898, along with 1500 acres of timberlands and the 205 acre body of water known as Duck Harbor. The Mill remained in operation until 1974.


Cochran, T.B., (Ed.) Miller, H.P. (A. Ed.) (1906) Smull’s Legislative Hand Book, Biographical Sketches of Senators, page 804, 823, 829-834.

  1. Carbondale Daily News (Carbondale, Pennsylvania) Monday March 17, 1919, Page 3